About the Scholarship
The Lee Walton Memorial Scholarship Program was established by Walton Insurance Group’s Executive Committee to honor Lee E. Walton, founder of the Walton Agency. Lee began writing policies in 1951 serving the community of Jackson. He was a respected mentor to many of his peers and associates, and a strong supporter of community involvement. To strengthen our ongoing tradition of active community service and participation, the scholarship fund was created to recognize and reward students who are passionate about continuing education and positively impacting the community.
Procedures & Requirements
Scholarship Application Procedures
- The application period begins each year on February 1st and ends May 1st.
- Applications are available on our website.
- Applications must be completed in their entirety to be considered.
- Return applications by email or regular mail – mailed applications must be postmarked by May 1st.
- Applicant must be nominated for the scholarship program.
- Applicant must have a high school graduation date from a Jackson, Hillsdale, or Lenawee County school.
- If Applicant is a home-schooled student, please provide supporting document of grade level and GPA.
- Applicant must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a university, college, or technical school following their graduation.
- Applicant must have a current grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must meet other eligibility requirements specific to the scholarship requirement.
- Applicant must approve of their full name and/or picture being announced for public relations and promotional use.
- Applicant is not eligible to receive this scholarship more than once.
- Applicant may re-apply the following year as long as they remain eligible.
- Our Committee will choose the top ten applications beginning by May 10.
- The top ten applicants will be required to complete a written essay describing how they impact the community by June 1.
- Upon receipt of essays, Committee will choose Winner based on:
- Written essay results.
- Demonstrated ability to make positive changes within the community.
- Academic record.
- Sense of direction of their educational goals.
Distribution of Scholarship Award
- In 2017 there will be one scholarship award of $1,500.00.
- The scholarship award winner will be notified in June.
- The scholarship award will be distributed upon completing the first semester of enrollment at the university, college, or technical school during the academic year that follows the award. Example: award for 2017 will be distributed in academic year 2017-2018.
Note: Prior to receiving their scholarship award, recipients will need to provide:
- An academic transcript for one term showing a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
- A copy of document that confirms continued enrollment at the university, college, or technical school.